Walnut and basil blinis with cottage cheese and dried tomato
I have become fond of prepare dough at home and the truth is that, in addition to being something entertaining and that relaxes me a lot, it offers an infinite amount of possibilities and I also make them totally to my liking. Be they raised masses like those of the loaves of bread wave Pizza or the express doughs like the one in today's recipe that are prepared and cooked at the moment, They are delicious homemade and it is a pleasure to prepare them.
These walnut and basil blinis with cottage cheese and dried tomato They are the perfect snack that fits any time of the year. Italian inspired, they serve for a summer snack but they also fit perfectly on designated dates like the Christmas and best of all, they can be accompanied with whatever they want. In case you don't know, the blinis are a kind of pancakes which are usually prepared with milk or yogurt and are usually given a small, snack size, and can be accompanied with ingredients sweet or savory.
In the recipe you will see that they prepare very easily and quickly and also you can do them even with days in advance because they endure phenomenal in the fridge and they can also freeze once cooked. I have started my basic recipe for dough and added walnuts and basil to give it a plus of flavor so I encourage you to experiment and prepare blinis to your liking with other types of nuts, herbs, spices or seeds.
If you like this recipe you will love to know the most basic recipe of homemade blinis. One of our suggestions for these blinis, which you will start salivating as soon as you see it, are blinis with marinated salmon and tartar sauce as a great and colorful canapés. And if you like these types of masses do not miss our definitive recipe on how to make crepe dough and use it to complete it with sweet or prepare our recipe for Salty crepes with salmon, cheese and arugula. You can also prepare the classics Homemade American pancakes or pancakes In addition to this healthy version, theHomemade pancakes or pancakesBanana and oat pancakes.
Ingredients to prepare the recipe for walnut and basil blinis with cottage cheese and dried tomato (for about 20 mini blinis):
- For the blinis:
- 1 egg.
- 1 natural yogurt of 125 gr (or sugary if you want them to accompany sweet, although I always prefer to add natural yogurt and then decide what I miss them).
- 1/2 sachet of baking powder or baking powder.
- The measure of a yogurt, of flour (in weight they are 75 gr of flour).
- 30 gr peeled walnuts.
- 8-10 basil leaves (to taste).
- A little salt.
- 200 gr of cottage cheese.
- 4 pieces of dried tomato.
- 2-3 nuts to grate on top.
- To decorate, some small basil leaves.
- Extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground black pepper and salt.
Preparation, how to make walnut and basil blinis with cottage cheese and dried tomato:
- The first thing we are going to do is rehydrate the dry tomatoes. This is no nonsense since they do not amount to a fresh tomato but provide a very intense and liquid-free taste so they are ideal for snacks, canapés, dressings and salads.
- To rehydrate the dry tomatoes put them in a bowl and pour over boiling water. Let them soak for about 20 minutes and you have them ready.
On the left the dried tomatoes and on the right already rehydrated
- The preparation of homemade dough blinis It can not be easier. I recommend using a glass beater although you can also use hand mixer.
- In the bowl of the beater or hand mixer incorporate all the ingredients of the dough except nuts and basil, that is, the egg, the yogurt, the yeast, the flour and a pinch of Salt.
- Crush everything well until the dough is homogeneous and add the walnuts and the leaves of basil. Crush everything for a few seconds or until you see that the basil has been quite crushed and has given the dough a light green color, and let it rest for 15 minutes. The idea of mixing the rest of the dough's ingredients first is so that, by adding the nuts, some pieces may become, which is great for these blinis. Even so, if your whisk is very powerful and leaves a totally homogeneous dough, it is not a problem because they will taste equally delicious.
This is the texture and color of the mass for the blinis
- Use a large nonstick skillet and set over medium heat. As soon as it is hot, pour spoonfuls of mass, I have been pouring a tablespoon for each blini and when I throw it I try to make it a more or less round shape.
- As soon as you see that they are bubbling, turn them over (they usually take just 1 minute or 2 at most), let them cook for just a few more seconds and remove to the plate. As a trick to leave them to your liking, if you see that you barely have time to throw them all and when they turn around they are already very golden, lower the heat, but if instead you throw the dough and you have to wait more than 2-3 minutes to turn them over, turn up the heat a little.
We are preparing homemade blinis
- Mix the curd with a little bit of Salt and even if you like it, with freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the dry tomatoes rehydrated and dry them with paper towels. Now you will see that your skin comes out easy, you can choose whether to remove it or not, in this case I have removed it. Finely chop them.
- Now we can ride the blinis. About each blini place cheese, the ideal is that it is in the form of a quenelle (it is made with the help of two spoons, it is easy and it is very aesthetic). Above spread a little tomato and, to crown, a basil leaf, a splash of extra virgin olive oil and grate very fine a little nut above. Do the same with the rest.
That's how beautiful the blinis are
Time: 45 minutes
Serve and taste:
Freshly made they are very rich but it is true that they also endure perfectly 4-5 days in the fridge and you can even freeze them. At the time of consuming them they can be cold but if you like them hot you can give them just a few seconds of microwaves and that's it.
The blinis are soft and you can use themwith sweet or saltyIn this case, adding nuts and basil to the dough gives it a very special touch. Serve them by adding the ingredients you prefer, They are authentic ... scandal!
Walnut and basil blinis with cottage cheese and dried tomato
Variants of the recipe for walnut and basil blinis with cottage cheese and dried tomato:
The basic dough is the same as this but without nuts or basil although I recommend giving them a different touch every time and you can get it by incorporating for examplepoppy seeds, sesame roasted, other herbs like thyme or oregano and also spices like curry, cumin or peppers (and you will also be giving them color).
As for the "toppings" or ingredients to add above, if you prefer sweets can bechocolate molten, cream, caramel, jams... or serve them salty with mayonnaise and tuna, with cheese Roquefort and raisins, with Tartar sauce and salmon… Imagination to power 😉
Use a nonstick skillet so that the blinis do not stick and you are perfect. It also controls the temperature of the fire so that they do not brown in excess but do not despair when doing them.
Respect the amounts of the ingredients so that they leave you at their point, since if the dough is too thick it can lose its juicy touch, and if it is too liquid it can be more complicated to make them in the pan and they will be excessively thin.