Grilled octopus with purple mashed potatoes
Without a doubt, the octopus is one of the great delicacies of the peninsular gastronomy. For those of us who are not lucky enough to taste a good occasional octopus in your land, here we have a recipe that looks great.
East grilled octopus with purple mashed potatoes It's a super simple way to prepare an octopus dish with a very original presentation with gourmet touch Thanks to the spectacular color of the potatoes. You will also see that, despite using small octopus, they are juicy to rage if you follow the system of the famous "scares", which help your muscle tension relax and the result is as tender as possible.
Are you already salivating? Me too, so go! To finish curling the curl, I always like to take this type of recipes with a good Ribeiro wine, what better than eating octopus with Galician white wine? When i went to Galicia whenever I have been able to, I have taken this combination, and at home to enjoy a delicacy like the octopus I try to do the same 😛
Ingredients for making grilled octopus with purple mashed potatoes (4 people):
- 2 octopus of small size (the ones I used did not reach each kilogram weight).
- 500 gr of purple potato or violet potato (you can also use any other potato variety, of course!, But it looks so pretty ...).
- 3 tablespoons of milk, or the one you need to puree the creaminess you like best.
- 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Go out and, if you have it, go out on scales.
- Fresh parsley.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Olive oil.
Preparation, how to make grilled octopus with purple mashed potatoes:
- Clean very well the octopus: separate the head from the legs and empty it well, remove the eyes and leave it unpolluted. Thoroughly clean each tentacle of the legs under a stream of cold water. You will see the photos I made of a large octopus, but the process is practically the same for these smaller octopuses, only they will need less cooking time.
Fresh, clean and separated octopus
- In a pot, addWater Just cover the octopus, a tablespoon of Salt, and bring it to a boil.
- Dip each piece (that is, each head and each set of octopus legs) one at a time in the boiling water 3 times giving it "scares": put the piece holding it by the fingers (be careful, do not burn!), Leave 2 -3 seconds and take it out again. Repeat this process 3 times, and the third time leave the leg inside the pot. Do the same with the rest of the bodies and heads.
Frightening each leg and octopus head
- When the water is boiling with all the octopus inside, count from there 20 minutes, and keep the fire strong. If you use a pressure cooker like ours, time is reduced considerably to 5 minutes !! We always prepare it like this and it is a pleasure to cook the octopus so quickly.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool. Drain it carefully and ... it is already cooked !!
- To make the mashed potatoesjust peel the potatoes, cut them into small segments as you can see in the picture, put them in a microwave-safe container and cook them for about 5 minutes in the microwave. Take out the bowl, remove the potatoes and cook them again for another 5 minutes or until they can be crushed to puree.
Purple Potato Puree
- Crush the potatoes with a fork and add the Butter, the milk Y ground black pepper Y Salt to taste.
- Wash the parsley, dry it with a paper towel and chop it finite.
- Put a pan on high heat with a splash of oil, and when it is very hot, place the octopus, taking care that the legs are all exposed upwards, so that they can brown perfectly. When it has browned a little, turn it over and you'll have it ready right away. Cook the rest of the legs and heads in the same way, and you have everything ready, just need to sit.
Octopus at planch
Time: 40 minutes
Serve and taste:
Serve octopus in two dishes downtown. As a "head", place the mashed potato with the help of a plaster ring, so you will look super nice. Then spread the parsley chopped and the flake salt, and finally a splash of olive oil.
If you want prepare it in advance, you can make the puree and cook the octopus, and just before eating pass it by the iron. With this dish and a good wine nearby, the only thing you're going to miss is more of everything, it's a combination of ... scandal!
Grilled octopus with purple mashed potatoes
Mashed purple potato as grilled octopus garnish
Variants of the grilled octopus recipe with purple mashed potatoes:
Once you know how to prepare grilled octopus, you can accompany it with the side dish you prefer. The finely cut purple potato itself in plan chips it's going great, and a Hummus chickpea or a little bit of Romesco sauce They're ideal. There is also the classic peppers, or if you prefer to innovate with spices, with cumin it's delicious 😉
Don't overlook the system of "scares", is what makes the difference.
So that the octopus is golden on the platemake sure you use a pan that does not stick and reach a high temperature before you place it on it. Following our advice you will be delicious, care that hooks 😀