Eggplant casserole. Murcian Moxil
- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 2.3 / person
- 289kcal per 100g.
- Salad and vegetable recipes
Ingredients for Eggplant Casserole. Murcian Moxil
- 1.5 Kg. Of eggplants
- 6 slices of semi-cured goat cheese
- 3 eggs
- 100 g of breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tablespoons rosemary honey
- Dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt (to the taste of each house)
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to make an eggplant casserole.
With today's recipe we go to Murcia. A region with a gastronomy that we already know and that brings us dishes that we have cooked at home for the blog,
You can enjoy the Calatrava bread, the pestiños with honey wave Murciana Salad or wet. But in a few months we will be completing with Murcian recipes that I like so much.
This eggplant casserole is a recipe with a medieval origin, and a characteristic name, the moxil. This word comes from Arabic, whose voice “musha”Refers to a stuffing of several things.
We will find eggplants throughout the year, although from the end of the summer you will start to find them more frequently and especially at a better price.
The most common in Spain is the purple, pear-shaped, but in reality there are different varieties, although more rare and exclusive. Originally they were white, and with the passage of time and the hand of man, they have evolved.
This Murcian moxil is a delicious recipe available to everyone, cheap, simple and you can cook at any time of the year, summer or winter.
It is timeless and goes great on any date. It is also a good option to take “tupper” to work, to beach or picnic.
Eggplants Cake base preparation
- Peel the onion and cut it into brunoise.
- We wash the eggplants and diced them, discarding the ends.
- In a pan with extra virgin olive oil, sauté the onion over medium heat.
- Add the eggplant, mix, cover the pan and cook 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Once the time passed, we went to a pan suitable for baking and let cool.
Eggplant Casserole Preparation
- We add the dressing to taste: salt, black pepper and oregano.
- Add the breadcrumbs, and mix everything.
- Beat the eggs, pour them into the casserole and mix again.
- We preheat the oven to 180º C.
- We place the slices of cheese, so that we cover the entire surface. As a final touch, sprinkle with rosemary honey.
- Bake 20-25 minutes at 180º C in the central oven tray.
- Remember that each oven is a world, it is advisable to look towards the end of the baking as it goes, when it begins to bubble the cheese and brown the surface, we will have it ready.
Remove from the oven, let temper and the Murcian moxil would be ready to enjoy at the table.
Do not forget to see all the photos of the step by step of this recipe for moxil or eggplant casserole.
Tips for a Murcian eggplant casserole
- In the original recipe we use rosemary honey, more frequent in the East and South of Spain.
- If you can not get it you can use another honey, but keep in mind that it is not too aromatic, since it will change the traditional flavor of the recipe.
- Each oven is a world, so keep an eye on the cooking process, taking care not to hurry too much and the surface will scorch too much.
- If you see that it starts to burn, place an aluminum foil, to avoid spoiling the eggplant casserole.
- If you have kids at home, this recipe is a good way to consume vegetables without finding out.
- With the melted cheese and the sweet touch of honey, you will surely have a good portion without protesting.